Saturday, July 09, 2005

Saturday Filler

It's been a shit of a day, the world is a cess-pool of violence, hatred and lies, and, worst of all, I have the theme song from Full House wedged in my brain. What I need is aural catharsis, something loud and angry hammering on my eardrums for three minutes to drive out the demons, particularly those demons that have assumed the form of John Stamos. So, without further ado, I give you the fist-pumping, head-banging, sphincter-assaulting sounds of... Joe Jackson's "I'm the Man"!

Download: Joe Jackson - I'm the Man

The title track from Jackson's 1979 album is the kind of frantic rock-pop he excelled at. Musically it's your standard bass-driven new wave sound, but what makes it a great song is Jackson's skill at interspersing wordy-yet-witty verses with a simple, catchy chorus. It may not get your fists pumping, but it does get the fingers tapping. Frankly, that's good enough for me tonight.

No comments: