Sunday, September 25, 2005

Bargains

Markets tend to bore me. The wares are always much the same, wherever the market happens to be - arts and crafts, cheap plastic toys, homemade preserves, and various flavours of hippy junk. Camberwell Market, however, is more like a giant garage sale, with all manner of stuff to examine, and even buy. Best of all, books are plentiful and cheap. We ventured along this morning for the first time in about six months, and while Lady Sterne sorted through so-cheesy-they're-cool knitting patterns, I picked up the following reading matter:

- The Enchanted Wood, Enid Blyton
- Murder on the Orient Express, Agatha Christie
- XPD, Len Deighton (market visitors are required to purchase at least one Cold War spy novel)
- More Rivals of Sherlock Holmes, Hugh Greene (ed.)
- Rupert of Hentzau, Anthony Hope (the sequel to the swashbucking classic, The Prisoner of Zenda)
- Lions and Shadows, Christopher Isherwood
- The Book of Nonsense: An Anthology, Paul Jennings (ed.)
- How Late It Was, How Late, James Kelman
- Description of a Struggle: The Picador Book of Contemporary East European Prose, Michael March (ed.)
- Points of View, W. Somerset Maugham
- Fugitive Pieces, Anne Michaels
- Forty-Seven, Frank Moorhouse
- Bad Land, Jonathan Raban
- Dead Europe, Christian Tsiolkas

And how much did I pay for all this booty? A measly eighteen bucks! That's $1.28 per book! The most expensive book was Dead Europe, but since it was only published a couple of months ago, I thought it was worth the four dollars I paid for it. Ah, I love a bargain!

2 comments:

Adam 1.0 said...

I was there as well today. I bought three ye olde Archie comix for $2 each. BARGAIN.

It was a throwback to my childhood.

My other writer's a beat poet said...

Hey man, you should see the book fairs over in England. Bring a tear to your eye and a damp patch to your pants. Bought myself a five volume set of Victorian medical books for 30 pounds. Taught me all about the medical dangers of masturbation and how to fight off villains whithout removing my waistcoat. Now I can handle those ruffians in that penny-farthing gang with ease! By the way, see you in December.