Monday, October 10, 2005

Booker Eve Round-up

The announcement of the Booker prize is scheduled for October 10, so I assume it will have been made by tomorrow morning Australian time. Below is my own shortlist (limited to five, as I felt there wasn't a sixth book of similar quality in the thirteen I read), and the remainder of the longlist, placed in order of preference with links to my reviews. As you can see, I didn't get around to four of the longlisted titles, but I certainly read more of the nominees than I expected, and in the process discovered at least three authors who I might not have otherwise read.

My shortlist:

Arthur & George, Julian Barnes
The People's Act of Love, James Meek
A Long Long Way, Sebastian Barry
The Accidental, Ali Smith
Never Let Me Go, Kazuo Ishiguro

The rest:

Saturday, Ian McEwan
A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian, Marina Lewycka
The Sea, John Banville
The Harmony Silk Factory, Tash Aw
Slow Man, J.M. Coetzee
Beyond Black, HIlary Mantel
All For Love, Dan Jacobson
This Thing of Darkness, Harry Thompson

Unread:

In the Fold, Rachel Cusk
Shalimar the Clown, Salman Rushdie
On Beauty, Zadie Smith
This is the Country, William Wall

No comments: