Friday, December 29, 2006

Blah Humbug

I don't like this time of year, not for the usual bah-humbug reasons - although I don't like it for those as well - but because it is so sodding dull. Everything of interest shuts down, everybody with something worthwhile to say stops saying it, and there is nothing to do but sit around drinking and watching bad summer television. (On that, is there a difference between bad summer television and bad winter television? I can't spot it, but maybe that's just because I'm drunk.) It is certainly not conducive to good blogging, hence this rather desperate post.

I suppose I ought to mention Christmas, which once again gave the intellectual giants that constitute my family the opportunity to show off their mad bigot skillz. According to my uncle, Box Hill is "full of Asians". Of course, "it's been like that for ages, but now it's wall-to-wall. You don't see too many Australians there!". Grandma, however, spots a silver lining: "At least they don't seem to create havoc, not like the Mormons." The what? "Oh, you know - the Arabs."

Once the Aryan League meeting wrapped up, Christmas at Sterney's turned out to be much like every other year: too much food, not enough drink, and some pretty decent presents including a new, albeit cheap, DVD player, so I can now watch all my zone one discs, like Citizen Kane, The Triplets of Belleville, and, um, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie. Righteous!

Anyway, the real purpose of this post, which I've kept until last as a kind of "fuck you" to the inverted pyramid - I'm punk like that - is to say thanks to everybody who has read Sterne during 2006. Cowabunga to you all. I'm planning on having a couple of weeks (or days, as it may be) off from blogging, so I'll catch youse all in the new year.

5 comments:

The Editor said...

Merry Christmas, happy new year etc., Tim.

Fiona said...

Excellent. I'm glad I'm not the only one with tawdry relatives. Ever since my mother casually asked me if I had a copy of Mein Kampf, four years ago, I've been on high alert. Just last November she forwarded me one of those 'you have the right, the right to leave this country' emails, presumably in response to my insistence on wearing the Burkha in the playground, I just don't know. 'Abos' are alright by her, though. No doubt they will be relieved.

Anonymous said...

I have a half-composed post about things I've discovered about my family over this Christmas period. Recurring themes include intolerance and fear. I can only conclude that there's some merit in the cabbage patch theory of reproduction.

TimT said...

Happy new year, Tim!

Omar Cruz said...

I like this blog is fantastic, is really good written. Congratulation. Do you want to see something more? Read it...: Great investment opportunity in Costa Rica: costa rica retirement homes, costa rica retirement tours, costa rica. Visit us for more info at: http://www.costarica4retirement.com