Sunday, August 12, 2007

Faceplant

Facebook. Everybody's talking about it but you can't see what it is unless you sign up. So I signed up - and I'm still not sure what it is. What are you supposed to do with it? I tried the "stalk your ex schoolmates" search (not its real name) and unearthed several people I don't particularly want to reconnect with. Not that there's anything wrong with them - well not all of them - just that I have nothing to say. One girl - I suppose she's actually a woman, now - apparently went to both high schools I attended yet I can't remember her from either. I found a few other people I know but I'm not sure why we need to become Facebook "friends" as well as actual friends. And what's this "Poke him/her!" business?

Facebook and I are a bad match given it's a social networking site and I have no social network and don't really want one. Sitting on my own listening to music, on the other hand, is something I do understand so I have bitten the unexploded WW2 shell and joined Last.fm. I like the idea of tracking my listening, at least that portion of it that is done on my computer. I also like the "radio stations" that you can stream by entering the name of an artist or genre. Those with a burning desire to see what I've been listening to can click on the Last.fm link in the "Sterne" section of the sidebar. (Update 13/8: Forget the link - we have sidebar widget!)

10 comments:

Ben.H said...

I don't understand the point of any of these Web 2.0 things: no-one has ever successfully explained the whole point of Delicious to me.

Having said that, I got an invite from a friend to join Facebook and thirty seconds later was inundated with requests from people I haven't heard from for years.

Creepy, but not as creepy as the poke/hug/get them drunk and try to stick your hand down their pants options available. I can't get them to work on Firefox, which is probably for the best.

Matthew Tiffany said...

I signed up a couple of weeks ago. I have high hopes of reconnecting with some old college pals, but so far I've only found one that I didn't already have an e-mail for; now, we have pictures of each other and graffiti boards.

It's mostly an enormous waste of time.

Be my friend!

Anonymous said...

I agree about the poking Tim; someone keeps poking me but I don't know what it means.

CIBalcony

Puss In Boots said...

I signed up a while ago, joined a few groups, left a few comments, logged out and have never been back. I don't get it. But then, I have no time for Myspace either. It all seems very pointless to me.

Tim said...

Ben: I use Delicious to manage the Bookmarks section of the sidebar. The 2.0 contraption I really don't get is Twitter. I signed up but I can't see the point.

Matthew: Done! I feel less lonely now.

Helen: Not even Facebook knows what it means. From the Help section: "A poke is a way to interact with your friends on Facebook. When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose. People interpret the poke in many different ways, and we encourage you to come up with your own meanings."

Puss: Myspace is baffling to anybody of voting age.

Imani said...

Ha! I will be absolutely delighted if I'm the youngest person in this comment section, and apparently the only who hasn't signed up on Facebook.

I feel very grown up and curmudgeonly. "Damn internet" and so on.

Jeremy said...

Bloody hell. I was going to post on this this afternoon too. I KNEW if I stopped to have all that fun in the dentist chair I'd regret it later. Bother.

David said...

If anyone invites you to Facebook (and you don't want to join) tell them , 'suck my facebook!'

It's the anti-poke feature.

Ampersand Duck said...

I find the 'poke' button extremely useful for poking people who you don't want to be friends with, or they with you, but you just want to remind them you exist in a nice way. I 'poked' an ex-boyfriend I found there the other day, and it worked! He poked me back, but neither of us made a move to be friends. Phew. Just a rush of sticky adolescent memories...

Budha_Belly said...

I must admit, most of the web 2.0 stuff is lost on me, and the whole facebook thing just irritates me...however this shared radio station gimmick is great value. I am now rediscovering music beyond Robert Palmer and DC Talk by following Tim's Last.fm picks.