Thursday, June 26, 2008

Page 123, sentence 5

Mr Lawrence has tagged me for a meme. I'm meant to take the nearest book, turn to page 123, and blog the fifth sentence. Well, the nearest book is Fowler's and the second nearest book is a thesaurus (I like to pretend I'm a writer), so I'll have to go for the third nearest book, which is The Victim by Saul Bellow:
He thought at first that it came from below, out of the subway.
This, of course, is from the scene in which our hero, Asa Leventhal, is engaged in hand-to-hand combat with an army of ninja zombies on the heat-drunk streets of NYC. Suddenly there comes a deafening roar, followed by a cacophony of shattering glass, torn tarmac and screaming. There is another roar, and Leventhal, with his fist submerged in the brain pulp of an undead warrior, ponders its source. "He thought at first that it came from below, out of the subway." But Leventhal is wrong - dead wrong. The roar sounds yet again, echoing through the deserted borough. Could it be? thinks Leventhal. After all this time, has my nemesis returned? Dispatching the remaining ninja zombies with a hand-grenade (Leventhal: "I gotta hand it to you guys..."), Leventhal feeds a fresh bullet belt into his waist-mounted machine gun and walks off into the night, towards the Empire State Building and his destiny.

Anyway, I don't want to spoil the book for you, but suffice it to say that The Victim is one of Bellow's best early works with a body count higher even than that of the hardcore splatter-fest that is The Adventures of Augie March.

2 comments:

Mark Lawrence said...

Wow. You're fast.

And now you've really got my curiosity with 'The Victim'. Sounds fun.

Binnsy said...

Did you tell Mr Lawrence Merry Christmas?

I'm sorry. That was a terrible Bowie movie reference and I should be shot.

Awesome meme though. Now if only someone would tag me...