Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Job

I don't have one (again). Actually I haven't had one for over a fortnight now, but I've been too ashamed/drunk to mention it here. It's the usual story ie. a long and boring one. I didn't especially like the job, but I expected that. What made it unbearable was a protracted campaign of arseholeness towards me on behalf of the manager and assistant manager. They just didn't like me - honestly, how is that possible?! - and after a while I stopped trying to get them to like me, preferring instead to ignore everybody and engage in subtle and inconsequential acts of sabotage. This was a new experience for me - normally I manage to strike up at least some kind of working relationship with even the most obnoxious people. Anyway, I was already considering quitting when it became apparent that I was being subjected to the classic method of getting rid of casual staff: leaving their names off the roster. I took the hint and told them where to stick it.

So now I'm unemployed yet again. Although the constant barrage of bad economic news doesn't fill me with confidence, I do feel that I am due for a change of fortune. (That's about as glass-half-full as I get, I'm afraid.)

5 comments:

Alexis, Baron von Harlot said...

This is probably totally unsuitable, but the Astor is looking for casuals over the summer - mostly for evening shifts of three to four hours, and Sunday afternoons. Doesn't sound very parent-friendly, or well paid, but selling choctocs has a certain glamour.

Tessa said...

Sorry to hear it. : / Good luck.

Beth said...

What utter morons those people you worked with are.

genevieve said...

What Beth said, and best of luck. Blast.

Tim said...

Thanks all. Alexis, not unsuitable at all - I've always wanted to work with icecream, I mean who wouldn't? Have applied and will spread the word if I get the gig. Free choctops for all!